| Suscríbete vía RSS

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Before the Beginning

| |

So what does it take to get to this point? How does someone start the business they never wanted and get to this point? I have no idea.

Well, that is a lie, I do know. Basically I had tried everything that was within grabbing area. Like a baby looking for something to put in its mouth, I was looking for something to put more green in my pocket. Most of it just took it out. The one that actually got me moving was thanks to an extremely visionary friend, but that is where he ended. Nearly one year ago, the housing bubble finally burst and the foreclosures went through the roof. Everyone was scrambling to save the houses, and entrepreneurs were jumping in to get their part of the action. One of the winning industries that profited from these foreclosures were trash out companies that would clean out the junk left behind in these bank-owned houses.

Just like 1-800-Got Junk, or College Hunks Hauling Junk, my roommate and I started a company called Empty House. We had no idea what we were doing, but were fueled by our mentor that it would be great. We believed him, and honestly, I think he was right. But the problem is that it was not our company, it was our mentor's, given to us, with all his drive, but none of our own.

Needless to say, when Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac decided to suspend foreclosures from November 26 to January 9, we were told that those would be most of our business and we should stop. So the wind in our sails was gone, our mentor left town, and we stopped. And I am glad we did. At least before we spent too much money, being poor college students, living in an apartment, without a clue as to what we were doing.

But I learned some vital things with that quasi-business. I first learned how easy it is to start a business. In Oregon it is $55 to register a business with the state. Second, I learned it was a bit exciting to start things. The possibilities were endless. Also, I learned how full of information people were with anything that you are starting. Among other things, I also found out that I work best alone (no roommate in the same business), also I could spend endless amounts of money in the startup phase alone, and it is much more fun to imagine work and pay than actually work.

0 comments: