| Suscríbete vía RSS

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Down to the basics 2

| |

Now this is the next part of the basics. The last post talked about the difference between washing and cleaning. I realize if I am now going to talk about window cleaning supplies, then I may be doing this backwards, but oh well.

Since you will need to know what you are doing, you must get your window cleaning supplies to practice with. I will get into cleaning tips and stuff like that later. This is all about the stuff you need. And you really don't need much. So don't worry. Even if you are not starting a window cleaning business, you are just wanting to do your own windows at home, these will be the same. I will show you what you when it will differ.

So, supplies. There are many different window cleaning supply stores that you can get your stuff. If you have a janitorial store close to you, you could buy it from there if that is what works for you. But since you are on my blog, I will assume that you are more internet savvy and will probably buy your window cleaning supplies from an online store. But you can find most of your basic, basic supplies at Home Depot or Fred Meyers or any store like that, just to let you know.

So easiest way? Just Google "window cleaning supplies" or "window cleaning supply" or "window cleaning kit" and see what pops up. Since I felt that I know everything because I've been cleaning windows my entire life, I went out and bought everything separately that I knew I needed. I wish I hadn't. The kits that are available are perfect for everything you really need. And if I had done that I wouldn't have to buy duplicates. But I plan on getting kits for all my employees from here on. They will cost about $115-$230.

Once you Google that, you have a bunch of different supply companies, but these are the top three: Detroit Sponge, J.Racenstein, and somewhere is ABC Window Cleaning Supply. There are others, and if you want, feel free to look around and price check, but these are the main ones. [Disclaimer: I am not getting any money for suggesting these. I wish I was.] But everything you want for you window cleaning business are right here. My advice is go straight to the window cleaning kits. Decide how much you want to spend, or if you are just cleaning your house windows, look at the sizes.

For super cheap, all you need is a pole, a T-bar and washer (also known as a wand), a squeegee, and a bucket. Any bucket will do. I got a bucket from ABC Window Cleaning Supply for about $15 but my friend with a $700,000 window cleaning company just buys his guys your typical, multi-purpose buckets for $6 from Fred Meyers.

The T-bar and washer sleeve you should get about 18 inches or 22 inches. It is up to you. Depending how much cleaning you'll be doing and how big your windows are. The bigger the size, the fewer strokes you will need to clean the window. Just make sure you get the same size for both.

The squeegee is the same: 18-22 inches, and check to see if the rubber comes with the squeegee. As for brands, it really doesn't matter. Everyone has their preferences, but you cannot be too picky right now. They all do the same thing. Personally I like the wide body Pulex brand channel with the Sorbo brand quick release swivel handle because it is much more versatile.

And you will also need a pole unless you happened to pay for college on a basketball scholarship. So the easiest is a quick-lock 8 foot pool. Most have just two sections so it'll stay at a very easy-to-use 4 foot size except when you need it.

This should end up at about $65-75 dollars. That is completely reasonable for a new business or a price (minus time) to clean your own house. Throw in another dollar for Joy Dish Soap and you're done.

(more on the dish soap later, ha ha)

0 comments: